Friday 19 October 2012

18th OCT.MACHYNLLETH TO GLASLYN

We were very slow on getting up and bteakfasted. We had a cooked breaky and I had cereal also. My appetite was certainly back and I was making the most of it.
We said goodbye to the host who with my heavy pack on my back had me looking at his wooden sailing boat. I cooed and praised his purchase. Eventually we made our way into back to where we had ended the Glyndwrs Way over two weeks previous.The route started roaming passed children play area to the leisure centre where we stopped to weigh ourselves on the mega scales in the foyer. Fully clothed with boots on I weighed 81kg , with pack 102kg ( pack weight 21kg). Josh's weight without pack 65kg and with pack 79kg (14kg pack weight).
We continued about 10.30 going up the worn Roman steps which are not even Roman but lokked old enough to be. Josh looked tired and stiff walking up the steps,  infact most of the day was up.I was feeling pretty good,  more like my old self,  no creeking joints and  only a few squeeks much to J's disgust.
The steady climb took us through felled conifer plantations,  and rough sheep grazing grassland. We made a mistake when climbing Rhiw Goch,  somehow missing the waypost and continued up on awkward ankle twisting steep slate shard path. It was only passing through a few gates without the acorn marker that I stopped to check the route. Using the gps Viewranger on the mobile I was able to ascertain we were over the three quarters of a mile of course. We back tracked ,again missing the waymarker but was able to put the map to the land to sus out our way on. A newly fitted gate was the obvious way on and then the eaymarker stood out a mile,  how we missed it twice I do not know,  the felled trees maybe threw my rather dodgy navigation. I was pleased to check the route using the Viewranger app.
We didn't help actually go to Aberhosan but skirted above it then onto a steady incline up Foel Fadian which is 564 m. We climbed to just below the summit looking back at the past route. I slipped on wet rocks getting water ,gashing my right palm , yep I swore! I was holding my mobile in the right hand, about to take a photo, and was pleased not to smash that....good old Motorola Defy+!
Once water gathered we pitched alittle further on. I was a little concerned about our exposed postion over looking the Glaslyn lake . It felt good to wild camp .
With tent up we climbed in and whiled away the evening playing chess on J's mobile. Sadly I did not win , but I was sure the game had a glitch,  a bad loser maybe!
I was to sleep well. With the additional 1 and half mile due to going wrong we had covered about 14 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment