Wednesday 17 October 2012

16/17th OCT. BORTH YHA TO MACHYNLLETH

I have done a days walk over two days due to the fact I am waiting for Josh to return to the walk in Machynleth.

I woke to a steady gale blowing outside and although warm I dragged the duvet closer to my bod thankfully this I was not pitched in it.
I did not get out of bed until about 7.30 .I knew the schools were using the kitchen area so I avoided that area and packed up my gear before breakfast.
When the chaos of a full kichen area had subsided I went in and cooked beans on toast with filtered coffee.
I tried to organise the hostel in Machynlleth but was unsuccessful so texted them. On leaving I confirmed there may be space at Borth if need be,  there was. The Manager of the place had totally changed his appearance,  where he was a slicked back rocker sort two weeks ago, now he had a tash and short back and sides looking as if he had just joined the army , his winter plumage maybe!
I left in sunshine but a howling gale. I stupidly tried walking the sea wall but the pack just gave more surface area for the wind to attack. I only lasted 20 yards before dropping to the road walking next to the out going golf course. It was a shame as the sea looked white foamed, in total turmoil,  dramatic and alive. Walking the road to Ynyslas was not easy either, I was walking side on to the windshield and must of looked drunk as the wind buffeted me making me having to brace myself from being pushed into wire fencing.
I got a text back,  it was ok for the next two nights in the Machynlleth independent hostel.
There was alot of road walking today but I split it up in two stages, and following the Wales coastal path more closely which took me above the main A478. The route meandered all over the place,  was muddy in places but was better than the road. I eventually dropped to the road at Furnace so I could see the massive iron foundry mill wheel there again. From there I walked passed the major road works to Dovey Junction to catch the train to Mach. I would do the rest tomorrow to keep the continuity and walking every day thing. I had only done about 8 miles. , leaving about 7 miles for  tomorrow.
On getting off the train I found the hostel behind the Texaco petrol garage. It was weird just walking in up the wooden stairs passed theatrical clothing and childrens toys. I saw a woman and introduced myself but she just looked blank as if I was a alien coming to molest her. She too was a hosteller,I think! She called downstairs and a chap appeared who I was able to communicate with. The hostel was £15 per person, so £45 for J and I. I was put in a room with two single beds, cosy and basic. There was a kind of hippy feel to the place,  the small kitchen had most things but space. The lady I met was very short on words and indicated my allocated space in the cupboards. I felt I was in her space,  an intruder.
I walked into the  town centre with pink bows tied to lampposts and gates , it was just two weeks since little 5 year old April Jones had been abducted. Pictures adorned ever shop window leaving a tangible sense of meloncoly. Police vans went up and down the street from Cheshire Wiltshire and more local forces. I felt like an intruder in a very private affair. The paths I had walked today had no doubt formed part of the background search area and there I was ambling away. What a vast area for the search teams to cover. Candles were lit in shop windows and sadness was everywhere. I do not believe in good and evil,  but what drives people to commit such things.  I thought of my two young boys Ran 7 and Anton 4,   my thoughts were with April and her parents.
I went into a quiet pub and had a pint of guiness and read a paper. The locals still talked in confusion of the incident , the suspect and loss.
I returned to the hostel room,  and climbed in to bed eating cereal then slept even though it was only 8.30.

I had woke about 2am , had another bowl of cereal then listened to the radio- the USA Presidential debate was on and I listened for a spell instead of counting sheep.
It must of worked as I had fallen asleep with earphones in waking about 7.
After another bowl of cereal I walked acoss the road packless and caught the train to Dovey Junction. This was a very easy day, like having a day off. It was all road walking but short and sweet ,coming into Machynlleth about 11. I went straight to the sports centre for lunch. Police vans seemed ever present and road signs had banners about poor April , for how long I wondered. When do such signs come down.
It was market day and the main road was cluttered with stalls from fruit to flowers to general cheap rubbish- of which I bought a small radio for the tent- more weight !
J was on the train heading this way and I whiled away time in the library doing computer things.
I was disappointed to hear that AGE UK could not get AGE Cymru interested in our venture. I could say more but I will hold my tongue for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment