Saturday 18 August 2012

START OF HADRIANS WALL PATH -17th August 2012 South Shields to Newcastle

Woke a few times to folk milling about,I was pitched next to the loo! I was awake at 6.15 and drank the last of the Monique coffee treats,and had porridge.
It was dull with the threat of rain at least the wind had drie the tent and was determined to keep it dry so got it down then sat drinking a tea with the Dutch chap until I left at 8.30.

I made my way to the shore and strode out over a vast grass area between sea and housing. This took me all the way to the Tyne harbour mouth where container ship and ferry were departing.
I had the wind on my back and now the rain. I put up the brollie and started walking inland up the Tyne.

Walking via boat yard and riverside industrial estate to a passenger ferry in the now torrential rain.
The boat waited for me to jog on board and as soon as I was on we were off. It cost £1.40 but well worth the short journey to North Shields .
Whrn I got of I donned my wet weather gear as the torrents kept falling.
I followed the paved main road to Wallsend stopping at the Parks Council Sport Centre at 11. I had a noisy cup of tea as the cafe is opposite 'Cheeky Monkey' play area. I stripped off my now wet wet weather gear an left via the loo to continue.
I picked up the Hadrians Walk cycle path which made it easy and around 12.40 walked passed the Swan Hunter Yard and the Roman fort museum.
I stayed for an hour enjoying their excellent cafe snd wondered around getting a feel for the walk ahead. The site was flat with pebble stones marking the various bits- soldiers quarters,  bath house etc. With illustrations to help the imagination.
On buying a trail guide route book, J had mine, I left.
The path again followed the cycle route but was blinkered by undergrowth and trees to the industry sounds below.
Eventually the route followed the more interesting Tyne edge meandering passed past and present industry and change. Trendy appartmrnts now adorned once busy wharfs and the enormous Spillers flour factory was now flattened a couple of months ago.
I stopped at the HUB on the waters edge with the first view of the Millenium bridge white on a blacked sky. As I approached the bridges in Newcastle I phoned the YHA but the hostel had closed so I made my my way to an Independent hostel hostel called Euro hostel. I .Managed to get a bed in a dorm, showered then went for a pint in a connecting bar. It was so noisy and I felt so alien and old.After a bite to eat I went ip to my room and blogged myself to sleep.
I woke numerous times,  1am ,2am and 5.20 am whenthe chaps I shared the room with returned from their friday night out....great! The room was windowless and stifleling

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment