Sunday 19 August 2012

18th August Newcastle to Halton Red House(Hadrians Wall)

As it was so hot in the room and the constant disturbance by fellow room users either by arriving in the wee small hours or snoring I decided to get up and dressed at 6 .I went to the residents kitchen and finished catching up with the blogging. Around 7 I  went for a basic breaky Of fruit cocktail and orange juice plus three cups of coffee.
I then went back to my room roughly gathered my gear and packed it properly in a quiet spot. Once sorted I went to check out and had another coffee.
I was kind of impressed by the Euro hostel at first but I needed a more traditional one where there is a certain amount of respect for other users. I hardly got any sleep but ai suppose a friday night and with Newcastle playing the next day I was asking for trouble. It all felt a little Ryan airish.
I was hot and sweaty before I started and at 9 I was very pleased to leave. I went to the residents co op bank to pay some money in then retraced my steps to the Millennium Bridge .
I walked hAppy snapping the various bridges and amazed at the variation. I was following the shore of the Tyne harbour with its trendy on my bank and the industrial part on the opposite. It was an interesting walk enjoying the massive wooden structures of the Dalton Coal Staithes. Just pass there I met a chap bird watching,  he was counting the Lapwings and Redshanks on the Tynes mud flats. Half a mile down there he was again and I said I had just met his brother,he was getting his car and moving up stream. I met him another four times then left the Tyne as the the route dictated.Joggers and cyclists sped by.
The path took me via LEMINGTON and NEWBURN where I walked next to industrial estates and housing.
I met an Italian couple fully loaded like me hoping to do the walk ahead in five days,  they had sandals on in true Roman style. I after a while had to leave them as I needed to get on. I must admit I am looking forward to Js company.
I stopped at the Boathouse Inn ,or at least near it and took my boots and socks off for a while and watched rowers row by. I was still unsure about my feet and washed them in surgical spirit. The fact there was no pain eased my mind alittle.The going was incedibly easy with cycle ways to follow and I was constantly focused on every
rub or slight irritation from my baby soft feet. Iwas sat on concrete steps near the rowing clubs. watching house martyns fly over the water gathering unseen to me insects.
Ihad an energy drink then walked on.
Eventually have regained the Tyne at the Boathouse that after a couple of miles I wad heading inland away from it.
I was again hot and sweaty and more so now I was walking up hill toward Heddon on the Wall.
As I gained the village I spilled into the stratigically placed Swan public House were a cold pint was forced with ease down my throat. I sat in the beer garden desparately trying to cool down. I stayed for an hour before leaving at three. Again I pampered my feet.
I had to see a piece of crumbled WALL which was a little way on then turned th follow the line of the wall itself.
Most of the wall was not present it was represented often by a shallow ditch or Vallum and sometimes in the muddu ditch. Also I may of been walking on it. It was fairly easy going if a little boring. A buzzards call helped interest me.
Various mile castles weremarked on the map but I coulx see nothing on the ground. Fields of wheat,cows and sheep slipped by.
At Harlow Hill I descende a slight incline to the reservoir where I sat in a bird hide contemplating staying the night. I walked on.
At a junction a sign said Wells House Farm camp site. It eas a mile off route but I was ready to stop.
I walked the long mile there to be told by a pretencious 12 year old that it was £13 to pitch my tent,  when I asked to see her parents she said they were away for the day. I walked back that long mile to rejoin the path. I cursed my way back., £7 was the most expensive pitch I had had to pay.
Iwas pleased to be on route.I got to Halton Shield but they looked a little pompous so I tried Carr House farm house who with their two super clean Range Rovers in the drive said they did not own the fields and there were plenty further on ....b..tard! A little way on at a real farm - Halton Red House I was finally successful and shattered it wad 8.10pm with 21 miles walked,  2 off route.
Once sorted I lay in the tent mumbleling My God my God. I lay on my back knees to chest rubbing my calves and smelly feet. Noodles and tea bliss! Then much needed sleep to make up for last night.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment