Sunday 19 August 2012

19th August 2012 Halton Red House to Green Cart Farm

I woke early as usual, it was to very wet, dew wet. I went through the usual routines using a stone wall to put my gear on to keep things off the wet grass. As I was taking down the tent two other walkers appeared from near the farmhouse. They were walking the walk,  west to east,  the opposite to me. We exchange walk details and wished wells. They too had found the path very restricted,  a lack of pitch sites and fairly formal.
I got the rest of the kit packed up and was walking by 8.30.
About a mile of easy grass walking took me to a round a bout and past the Ernington Arms with its delapidated wooden traditional carts rotting eithet end of the pub. It was bright and warm again and my bulky shadow stretched infront of me,  my companion. I was pleased to climb the stile into the cool of the Stanley Plantation,  a rare feature on the walk so far.
As I walked through I had taken my cap off and I when I stopped to take a photo ,realised I did not not have it with me. I dumped my pack and jogged back. It was not that far back and as I saw it I tripped on an exposed root and went diving to the ground. My right side, leg ,arms were coated in mud. I retrieved my escapee cap then using long damp grass smeered the mud around alittle. I returned to my pack and as I walked on mud replaced more of the path. Wood chips had been put down at the worse spots but was pretty thick.
Having exited back into the sun again I I thought I would let the mud dry and pick at it later.
Two miles on having passed a few on coming walkers I turned into St.Oswald Hill Head Farm Tea Room. Well timed and well placed. With a pot of tea and cake ordered I went to the loo and cleaned my mud worn appearance up as best I could. I took the tea etc outside to the ground picnic tables and sat talking to a cheery couple walking thePath opposite to me. They had boots off and hobbled in a similar manner to me. They were jolly with a dry sense of humour and determined to get to the next b and b. They were walking 20 miles a day.I left Daniel and Viv to their feasting and carried on. A little way on I relised I had left my wallet in the loo. Again I dumped my my pack and jogged back much to my fellow walkers mirth. It was almost 11 now as I followed the short cut grass a down now and then away from the wall to avoid a steep road and no doubt to keep us walkers safe. I was soon walking into Chollerford and as it was 12 now I was tempted to stop for a pint atthe The George Hotel just over the old 1775 bridge and photo genic weir. Instead I opted for a tea in the cafe attached to a petrol station opposite. Loads of burley bikers dominated the picnic tables and none moved over to let me sit down so I ate inside. There was a sign saying ' Do not ask to use the toilet if you are not a customer'. I do not like signs like that it puts me off the place.
I was hoping to meet Monique and the boys here and I knew they were on route but I walked on , down path next to the road to Walwick, again a dog leg took me off the route around Walwick Hall.I stopped breifly to adjust a sock. Then on to the biggest chunk of wall yet. I then received the phone call that Mon was here and where was I . They drove down the road picked me up at the junction stating Green carts Farm camping site.
Maria and her son accompanied Mon and boys and was great to see all the smiley faces. It gad just started to drizzle as I was transported back three miles to Rhe George Hotel and my pint.
The boys played with a massive chess set in the garden and I chatted to Mon and Maria feeling fairly normal on a Sunday outing.  As the rain got heavier the boys were gathered up and we went for soup snd chips in the cafe I stopped at earlier. Again normality.
It was good to see the familiar faces and Mon looking happy.
Again when the time came I was taken to Green Carts camp site and in the persistant rain said a sad goodbye to my loving support team. Thank you Monique.
Before they left I found out the price,  £5 to pitch the tent. £10 for a barn £20 For the posh barn ehich was more like self catering and excellent.
I kissed and waved goodbye and watched them dissappear down the farm lane.
As it was raining I got the tent pitched and gear in the dry. I had been allowed to make a tea in the camping barn and was so pleased with its facilities that I up graded and took down my tent and retired to the barns comforts.
I spent the evening,  such a contrast to yesterdays relaxed and recharging me and my phone and blogged. It had been a short day walking,  barely 10 miles and finished by 4 pm. No regrets.
I listned ti the radio and spoke to my now home support team. Again thanks Monique it is so important that you support me and in doiing so my moral.
I also spoke to J and as his girlfriends parents are going to the Lakes next week it was decided we meet there when hopefully Mon will have be seeing me again.  I turned the electric light off around 10 feeling fairly happy.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment