Friday 24 August 2012

24th August Josh joins me.

I had intended to get up about 6 but did not wake until 6.45.I got up straight away and got kettle on and packed up my dry gear.
On setting off around 8.10 I headed to join the Cumbria Way. I felt good and inspired with the drudgery of last to days behind me.
The scenary was changing completely more dramatic and heath and heather and steeply going up.
I passed a disused mine and as the route leveled of the vires ahead of classic Lakeland Hills opened up.
It was drier up here than down below which made walking easier and the track easy to navigate.
I passed a mountain sheltet which if the erather had been course I may of stopped at but all I did was peek in at its basic accomadation but at times a welcome sight.If I known it was there I may have walked on to it yesterday but at least my gear was dry.
It eas strange to descend via Grainsgill Beck ad I felt I should stay high and after six miles I saw my first walker sitting at a route junction having a snack.We exchsnged route details and moved on in opposite directions.
As I turned toward Skiddaw House I got a glimpse of it about 3.5 miles ahead.The stream I was following babbled next to me and calls of a Dipper and a small darting shape stopped me in my tracks. I watched three Dippers plunge and dive for aquatic insect prey nefore walking on. I would not stop until Skiddaw House.
The track became a narrow but well trodden path as I negotiated boggy peaty bits.It was well used by mountain bikers by the amount of tracks.
The reason I was walking with such zest was because I was meet Josh my son today and was looking forward to seeing him. Ihad tried to book hostels but because of the bank holiday I was unable to as all so far were full.
I met a group of ladies snacking in the lee of a stone wall and on saying good there is no rain I was shouted down as if tempting fate. I apologised as if I had said Macbeth.
I now was walking the path below Lonscale Fell ,a high level path with rocky face above and view of the valley below.
As I rounded the fell Derwent Water came into view. A couple up ahead with the woman trailing the man by a good ten paces came into view and in no time I had passed them with a cheery good morning, a reluctant nod from the man and a cheery hello from the woman. Half a mile on I stopped to remove my sweaty fleece and sat down to enjoy the view with a sup of water. The couple now a united band gave cheery hellos as they galloped by. I sat abit longer then got up and continued. This time I had a harder time closing the gap but ended up 10 yards behind them and they speeded up. It eas as if they had said he won't Bloody pass us again. I didn't. At the Latrigg car park they strode to their car. I instead went up Latrigg, a hill above Keswick which gives great views over the town and south over the Derwent Lake and beyond. I was a fairly sweaty individual having made the climb for the view but soon cooled as I took in the vista sitting on the pack. I made my way down to Keswick via eye adjusting dark and somewhat Lion the witch and the wardrobe type of setting of a conifer plantation with path of pine needles. On entering the the town I sort the tourist info to find out if a camping barn was about, they sent me to Sally's cottages who in their pulsh office where i felt out of place were finding me places 10 miles. The comment that a nearby place was full and wouldn't that be handy did not help. I left empty handed. I tried a number I had tried earlier and got through this time. Success Denton House and was walking beside the river out on the Penrith Road. Ten mins later I booked in and paid the extortionate price of £22 per head. No wonder it was not full. It was a cold functional place ex army and used mainly as an outdoor pursuits base. I got our bunks sorted then showered. A phone call from Josh had me stood by the road to to meet his transport. It was great to see all the, Josh not dressed in his usual trendy clothes but looking awkward in his walking attire. Kiss hello to Hol and her mum and a manly handshake for Dad. We got J's kit out plus a 2kg box of noodles. Then as they wanted a look around the town we drove in.I felt alittle out of place as I tagged along. A brief tour of Keswick then tearful goodbyes. It was great that Hollys parents had helped keep J and also to deposit him here. They left J with the knowledge that at anytime he felt he needed to back out of the walk there was always them to go to. Maybe that phone call will be sooner than expected.! The evening was spent going over gear and getting sorted.We did go for a pizza to return to bed.

.
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment