Friday 24 August 2012

23rd August Oulton to Hudscale camping barn nr.Cladbeck

UuWoke up just gone midnight with bile in my mouth feeling sick.I climbed out of the tent with  rumblings down below. It was alovely clear night with a hint of the milky way.I would of like to enjoy it more but other things were on my mind. As it was just wind I climbed back in my bag and slept till 6. Woke I felt lethargic and tired.
At 7.30 the sound of rain on the tent I started to get tea/porridge on. J texted me to wish him luck with his exam  results and of course I did. Texted. Mon morning as I usually do then turned phone and of to conserve energy.
The rain continued so I packed up in the tent. At times the rain intensified to a deep druming. At 8.15 rain, 8.30 rain.I gave it until 8.40 and in a slight and brief look lullI got out try desperately to keep pack dry by putting up the brolley. As I took the tent down the rain poured down and no matter how quick I worked the fly and inner were saturated. Just getting the tent on the pack and keep things dry was a job which I only partly succeeded. The tent must have gained a kilo in weight.
I started walking and five minutes later the rain stopped but rivets flowed on the road. The walking via Oulton was miserable with windy roads making it hazardous on bends woth lorries and fast cars. At Wigton I walked over the pedestrian bridge to and into an industrial part of town. On the main road I had tea beans on toast in a friendly cafe and people watched. It seemed a locals meeting place where every one knew they everyone except me. After three mugs of tea I stripped off my waterproofs to dry out.
It was a weird mix of industrial and rural, tractors with livestock going by. At 10.30 I left well fed.
The next seven miles to Caldbeck was a head down and walk job on road. I hammered it out as quickly as I could and found it tedious and mind numbing. Around 2 I made it. Into a tea room where I asked a to charge my phone and had a pot of tea.
As Josh had the maps for this area I was forced to get one and a fellow tea room user pointed out a camping barn about two miles on at Hudscale Farm.
The route out gave me views of the hills in contrast to what I was used to recently.
An our on I met a farmer on his quad bike who said just give me what change you have he had asked a for £8 but I was 60 p short other than notes.I thanked him for buying half cup of tea the next one I buy. He showed me the spacious accomadation with games room pool table couches then left me to it.Again I was on my own.
I made use of all the space by drying my gear and spreading maps out on the table. Then had naff Bachalors noodles and after blogging bed. Short day of 12.5 miles but who cares.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment