Tuesday 18 December 2012

18th DEC. OSMINGTON MILL to WEST LULWORTH youth hostel

I did not sleep well.  I was restless and my stomach turned over and was gurgling. At around 2.30 am I exited the tent to ensure I did not soil myself. I was good to get that off my mind.
I woke around 6.20 , abit later than I like but at least I had some sleep. Usual route and away for about 8. Sunrise was rays through cloud over the sea,  dramatic and a privilege to see it.
The path was not to bad to Osmington Mills where the open all day Smugglers Inn dominated. From the amount of picnic benches outside the 13th Century Inn it must be popular. I was more interested in the public loo to have a personal clean up.
The journey to Ringstead Bay was a mud bath, the path was restricted by hedge or shrub,  was low lying and wet wet wet. The mud was hard to avoid and hard to walk and caused J and I to argue.
Through a gateway was a mud bath,  I went through,  it was deep chewed up mud which I waded ,  Josh took a path through some hedge tree land to avoid what I was hoing through. The terrain the other side of the gate way was water logged and cow trodden, J called for me to find him a way through but I said go back and follow me,  he refused and I said I would meet him the other side. After another mud gateway I was on a track, J appeared five minutes later annoyed at me for not helping him,  I had my own problems and he had made his choice.
The mood between us got better as the path got better.
Houses were scattered around the bay,  different shapes and sizes. I noticed a plaque saying drainage and sea defences were improved in the 1990's. It must of been bad before because the land was water logged and not draining except via the track we walked on.
We followed signs going inland and up to White Nothe. We were taken up only to return down again confused by the weird unecessary route which took us nowhere but on a round robin,  that was the National Trail signposting,  if we had followed the public footpath we would of had a more direct unconvoluted path.
We passed a twee wooden shed like church which was made of ship lap,  it reminded us of a Bolivian Missionary Church or something.
As we climbed the path became flinty and chalky. It was a relief to have a clean route for once. I do not mind steep uphills and the ability to get traction but the mud is making it so miserable.
From that point the whole feeling changed,  we were walking higher and although the chalk cliffs rose and fell steeply and again and again it was what I call decent hard walking.
We had no charge in the mobile batteries so I used the new wind up radio to charge it up.  I really wanted to take a photo or two of the approach to Durdle Door.
As Josh said the radio I had got was something you give to a 5 year old which will not use it and treat it as a gimic. It was true. The wind nob came off and Josh lost it before I could fix it. At least I got my photo thanks to Josh's winding.
It was a popular tourist destination,  as we descended to Lulworth Cove. There were plenty of folk about the Heritage Centre,  cafe and other tourist magnets. We had intended to dump our packs at the youth hostel and walk on packless. However, the lack of an open grocers shop for food supplies was amazing considering the size and population of the cove and West Lulworth.The village is a mix of thatched cottages including newly built ones. A thatcher was busy rethatching one house,  he said it was costing £17000 but would last 25 years . Apparently the
Londis shop is closed for winter, pathetic. The nearest shop was a Spar in Wool four miles north. We caught a bus but due to the limited service had to walk back hitchiking. Two miles walking we got a lift from a van delivery van,  and I thank the gent who took us to the youth hostel.
We were early and Gareth the manager was busy cleaning up after a group booking. He let us in and we relaxed with a coffee and mince pie.
We had the place to ourselves and made the most of it.  We had got numerous treats ; ice cream , cheese cake and decent perc coffee....bliss!
I repaired a few things,  actually dried my sleeping bag properly which the foot had still been damp from the flooding in Budleigh Salterton.
With clothes washed and a good meal in us we were able to relax.
I spoke to Monique and the boys. I really miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment