Saturday 17 November 2012

15th/16th NOV. CRACKINGTON HAVEN TO BOSCASTLE TO PORT ISSAC (Pine Haven)

We got up had a cooked breaky and numerous coffees....we were high on caffine on leaving at 9. We made our way down to the bus stop and waited for the 9.20 bus which arrived at 9.25. This made the driver speed around lanes and  both J and I felt a little sick as we tumbled off the bus.
The weather was dry but misty , really warm that I walked in my base layer.
The route was ok,  some climbing which afternoons yesterday and now with heavy packs and felt like everest. After about 7 miles we arrived in Boscastle.  We were very thirsty and were going to go into The NATURAL TRUST cafe when noticed the Yha hostel nearby. I went and asked how much,  only £20 for us both. We booked in both feeling tired.
We were impressed by Boscastle,  it all looked so fresh and twee. They had a massive flood in 2004 which destroyed numerous properties including the hostel.
We wondered past the dingly dell cottages and went for a half in the Wellngton Hotel. No signal on phone so trief with wifi but was usless.  Generally we wondered around,  lots of pagen witchcraft things,  even pub called The Cobweb.It was a lovely place,  abit newishly old,  with numerous signs on buildings saying it things I like ' built  1600 destroyed 2004 rebuilt 2005.
Thereupon were three others in the hostel so it was fairly quiet. We had the dorm to ourselves .
J cooked himself eggs on toast and I just had a cuppa soup. I had no particular appetite taking myself to bed exhausted at 9.

I woke on the 16th around 7 finding it hard to drag myself out of the cosy bed.
I woke j up straight away. We packed up,  which was very little from yesterday. Breaky of porridge and fried egg,  not together!
I proofed my boots with silicone spray,  although I did this outside the smell drifted into a open door giving a smell of pear drops. When the folk came down later they complained of the smell thinking it was the carpet cleaner. I did not correct them.
We had left around 9. A fairly non descript day,  a fair few steepish climbs. Tintagel was so quiet,  I expected the place to be open,  we sat around reading notice boards and poking about. Interesting place,  even if King Arthur did not come from there.... but he may have!
There were plenty of signs of the slate industry of yesteryear , an impressive slate stack at Lanterdan.
We dropped to Trebarwith Strand watching folk dressed in wetsuits ready for body boarding. It was chilly but bright. A hot coffee was appreciated.
We walked up from there and had about three consecutive steep ups, some paths also used by cows chewing up the route and making ups even harder. It was so mild and I had not sweated that much in some time,  I think the word is dripping! Even J commented on the amount.
There were a few possible pitch sites,  but we walked on to Port Issac and had to hunt for a cold drink which was not a cafe or tea shop.
We descended to the harbour where J popped in for a bottle of coke. Cold and beautifully thirst quenching. The light was going as we walked out,  up passed B&B s, onto Lobber Point and its down to our pitch site as planned Pine Haven. We pitched next to the path just as the rain started. I had a go at J for unpacking his gear in the rain as opposed in the dry tent. He ended up having to dry his carry mat with his towel.
We only had bread and Nuttella for tea and struggled getting a decent signal for the radio except french and Irish. A very hissy radio Cornwall.
We went to sleep early.

No comments:

Post a Comment