Friday 7 September 2012

7th August. General summary of past few days.

Finished this stage of Pennine Way. Heading over to Wales via Macclesfield Canal and Cheshire Canal Way.
I have to summerise the past few days as I have  been to tired to blog or the signal has been none existant.
Basically we finished in Edale the Pennine Way. We were lucky that the last few days have been on our side and the ground fairly dry. The last day on the Pennines was clear and sunny. It was also fairly draining as we had a fair bit of up hill and had left us 18.5 miles to walk to Edale. It was alot of moorland and a wee bit of up hill and down,  but generally good walking. The ups were CloughEgde and the classic climb and walk of Kinder Scout.
We got to Edale about 5 then had a mile and a half walk to the Youth hostel. We were both tired and the celebratory drink did not help in the Naggs Head.
We walked the footpath following signs unsure how far the hostel was. I asked a chap who in jolly mood said 15 miles, I did not laugh. He got the hint I was not in the mood and the ten min walk appeased me.
As we walked on a camping barn sign appeared and we asked there as it was closer than the 10 mins. The charitable lady looked us up and down and said did we book we only allow bookings, it was bloody obvious we hadn't so bid her fairwell and continued.
We finally made it to the hostel. Where we were given a room to ourselves in the 120 bed hostel outward bound/activity centre. It was their quiet period with only us and three others. The room had on suite toilet / shower and we were able to get boots fully dry and socks and clothes washed. We even walked back to the pub for fish and chips eating them in the dark on the way back to the hostel. J taking short cuts as always got his crocs full of mud and an electric shock from stock fence and a long scratch on his leg. He will learn.
We got back and I went over the route and we both slept as lords.

On the 6th I woke at 6 but dozed until half past then retrieved our dry kit from the dry room. I left J to sleep until 7.30.
On getting him up we went down for a full blown breaky of eggs beans Mushrooms toast tomatoes cereal fruit juice and numerous coffees. We even made jam sandwiches for later and apples.
We knew we would be late starting and were in no particular hurry to exit.
It was almost 10.30 before we left walking back to Edale.
It was back at Edale Josh and I had a massive fall out. It was over nothing except an accumulating amount of irritations Josh was mounting up. Again his unthinking slap dash ways always raising its head. It catalyst was the lack of address for his girlfriend which he had on a text message. He took ages trying to find it then stated it was deleted. I told him to write it down but of course that would mean using a pen. The long and short was that he was almost sent packing with a hundred pounds I got out of the Post Office for a train fare. Before the walk he showed no interest at all on going on training walks with me or even assisted with the facebook or web pages. He cannot even be bothered to do a journal of the walk. He follows me around with his ear phones on so I cannot talk to him or point things out and he leaves me to plan and execute the route. I don't expect even tbink he knows where he is in the country. I would ne better off with a dog following me around. Oh yes it all came out. To top it everything cost twice as much.
I think he got the message and it will take time for me to accept him as a part of MY walk. Time will tell .
We walked on via lane then path to the Lords leap with a great view down on Edale.
We walked via a leafy Chapel de la Frith and stuffed our faces with fried egg rolls in a Morrisons before walking busy B road to Horwich End and pitched in a field having asked a pleasant lady whos hubbie came and checked us out.  We had only done about 13 miles.

7 th August. Again I woke at 6 but did not move until 6.45. Due to a leaky water container we were short and had to eat squashed jam sandwiches instead of porridge. The tent was dry from a stiff breeze which going by the stunted and distorted oak tree next to us was a common feature here.
We were soon packed up an walking the B road with fast heavy morning traffic. I do not like the connecting sections of the trails as now and then it involves trying not to become road kill.
Although ,as opposed to the Trails , I have to make the connections up as I go I find it hard work. Luckily we were able to join the Grit stone trail and make our way via Bollington to Macclesfield and join the contrasting flat Macclesfield Canal.
Around midday I left J for an hour with the packs as I went into the town centre to get a more detailed map for planning a canal rote to Chester. I returned with pound shop goodies and new boots for J as the stitching had gone and his feet were always wet. I hoped these cheap Hi tec boots and would do for now.
We walked the flat tow path approx 10 miles to Congleton via beautiful aquaduct and canal boats brightly painted. It seemed weird looking down from the canal to roads or land below the canal waterway. It seemed so peaceful and an eady going slow paced life. It was so slow we passed three boats who were obviously going at a pace less than our 3 miles an hour. A 12 lock drop took us into Congleton and as we made our way into the town we asked for a pitch at Ash Tree Farm where I am blogging this now
Although tired we walked into town to buy a few nits of food. We must be getting better because normally we change into our crocs but instead we had smelly feet on entering the tent.
I had started the day on a low for a number of reasons which no doubt when in book form may be revealed.
Josh did lentil soup tbis evening and is now making a cuppa to allow me to get on with this. Things are looking up!

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment