Saturday 26 May 2012

Training Walk- Thwaite

I  had to get out , away from my computer and into the Dales. The sun was shining , and after the past few weeks of incredibly wet , dull and generally miserable weather the great outdoors beckoned .

I have been planning a National Trails walk for the last year , and now I have thrown off my anti- Facebook /Twitter attitude in a bid to promote the walk and the chosen charity-AGE UK.


I  canceled a day of work and in my little white van drove the  20 miles to Thwaite , Swaledale. Here I abandoned the vehicle,  donned my boots and with back pack in place I joined the Pennine Way to climb to Great Shunner Fell (716m). I felt strong , and purposeful. What really drove me on was half-a-dozen army bods on some sort of yomp . I was determined not to have them over take me before the top. I was sure they would stop at the trig for a break , so I thought I would continue to head down toward Hawes  to get away from them , five minutes later they trotted passed me.

 I eased back as they disappeared into the distance. I focused on my setting , the well trodden path ,  the Lapwings wheeling around me screeching insistently , and Golden Plover trying to distract me, with bobbing calls from  rock perch , I did not fancy chick or egg today. What I did need was a drink of water , the mid day sun and my determination had made 'man dry '. I sat by a stone wall unable to escape the sun and ate a oat cake,  and drink much needed fluid. Another troop of army clad bods , also joined me 20 yards away , these ones female and they did have a break.
I continued on only to have the females in their camo fatigues and heavy looking packs jog past me , obviously not much of a break!



No comments:

Post a Comment