Saturday 26 May 2012

Cotterdale- Pennine Bridle Path


It felt strange leaving the Pennine way after just six miles to head toward Cotterdale . I was pretty hot by the time I made the stream below , pouring water down my back to cool off , it must of been 25 degrees.
However , the stream meant the bottom of the hill and now I had a fairly steep climb to gain the  flat topped Thwaite Bridge Common and eventually pick up the Pennine Bridle Path. I hated that climb , the air was still , the heat oppressive and for some reason my thigh muscles kept cramping. Scary stuff as I had only done about eight miles.
As I got to the top a lime kiln , which looked in pretty good condition , for an old piece of stonework , afforded another brief respite and anther mouthful of Dales water.The trip to Hells Gill, which sounds abit ominous, is fairly flat and easy going
and before long I was pitching the tent and lying prone thinking 'What the hell am I doing ?'

No comments:

Post a Comment