Saturday 26 May 2012

24th May , 2012

The next morning ,after a good sleep , I got my porridge ready and kit packed away and again in the sun continued down the trail .
My feet were not doing that well, I had a blister on the sole of my right foot . My boots felt tight and I had to stop about a mile on to relieve them. Not a good start. Saying that I was enjoying the view down into the Eden Valley.
The stroll down to the road /River Eden was gentle and easy going, it was here my brief encounter with the Pennine Bridle Path ended , a taster of  the future.
I was now to dabble with the Eden Walk, a river hugging ditty to Kirkby Stephen. It was idylic, although not a national trail well sign posted following the west bank , past castles and through silage reeking farm yards. A red squirrel hopped across the bridge parapet, I wasn't even sure they were in this area,   I am sure if I had hung around longer a Dipper would of skipped across a few stepping stones.

I strolled into Kirkby Stephen with two things in mind , a cold drink and blister patches. Alot of building work was going on on the outside of KS and I can understand what a beautiful area it would be to live .

I popped into a charity shop and bought a rather pathetic hat ,  the top of my bald head was feeling the heat , found a quite spot in the church grounds , supped my drink and peeled my socks off to see the damage done . The relief was amazing on replacing the offensive boots.

I strolled out via Stephens , or was it Kevins Bridge , ideal dog walking territory. Somehow I lost my bearings and somehow ended up at the dis-used railway viaduct. After a faff I re gained the main trail , now on the Coast to Coast.

Again the heat of the afternoon was kicking in , it was a gentle up hill, skirting a quarry ,on the road towards Hartley Fell and the blue route to Nine Standards. I was so hot , even the animal trough water quenched me little. I could see the Nine Standards from some way-away ,and the up hill just made them seem further away.Eventually after numerous water breaks I made it, putting on a 'this is easy' face to a couple I had just disturbed.


 I asked the  couple to stand as size scale for the stones ,then continued along the flattish ridge to the trig point and down to the infamous wet peat route sign post,  three routes - red , blue and green . A chap earlier had informed me that a couple of folk had to be winched out of the bog on the blue route. Typical , my route! I headed at about 100 degrees , over fairly wet peaty land , but found it surprisingly easy to Whitsun Dale , I wished I had put my gaiters on . I pitched the tent  near the beck and slept for about 2 hours before  making noodle supper. My croccs are by fair the best foot wear for the end of day.I  bathed my feet in cool stream , washing them with sphagnum moss.

I read a little before bed, making notes of the walk and things I need to improve on ; re-do route time plan , look at lighter boots and better socks , basics but important things. I lay outside the tent in my bag , the stars not as good as I had expected as a thin veil of cloud dulled the effect. I went to the tent about ten with the sound of snipe drumming hypnotically in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment