Wednesday 3 April 2013

6th MARCH , 2013 Near A66 PASTURE END to MAIZE BECK



I had pitched in fairly bleak surroundings , although I could hear the A66 less than a kilometer away ,I could not see it having been in a dip next to my water supply Rove Beck.
In the morning visibility was less than 100 metres and due to lack of battery on the phone for Viewranger GPS I resorted to good old map and compass .

A short way over scrappy moorland, following compass and farm vehicle chewed up heather tracks, I came to a made up track which was not shown on my map, beside the track  a shed (in above photo) with padlocks on all but the end section where a shelter was . I wish I had known yesterday as I would of pushed on and saved a damp pitch. It was to early to stop so I just peeked in the shelter and continued.

I passed signs of lost dogs , a dodgy place for a dog to be roaming free with lambing and grouse, some gamekeepers gun maybe. The sign on the right was also hopeful from near Keld now some miles back.


Blackton Reservoir Nature Reserve


 I seemed to be passing a never ending trail of reservoirs . At the head of Blackton was Hannahs Meadow, a tribute to Dales woman Hannah Hauxwell, of interest to tv and books due to her lost in time existence , no elec and candle light, etc. So this is where she lived!
The next Reservoir was Grassholme
 
GRASSHOLME RESERVOIR
The major town of the day was Middleton-on-Tees, I was desperate for  a decent guide book and was pleased to pick up one from the Tourist Office. It was a sleepy place ,which no doubt in season and in better weather would of been busier. Half the cafes were closed , and I got a coffee in a fairly sparse cafe which I thought may accomodate me and my pack. The chap inside apologised for lack of phone signal and wifi , but all I wanted was to charge phone.
Middleton Mart

I had passed the Mart a little way off route into Middleton and although empty today it did seem awfully close to the river , but I suppose the pits under the slatted courts prevented excessive discharge.

 The River Tees was graced by two walks , the Teesdale Way along its north bank and the Pennines Way along its south. As you walk up stream the river and scenery become more dramatic, from a flood plain to waterfalls. Dippers ever present , seemed to be used to human intrusion , as they flitted from white poohed stone to poohed stone their stage post for their sub aqua hunt for insect food.
Juniper bush disease prevention.


The further I went up stream the more Juniper bushes appeared in their various shapes .Apparently a disease is killing them off and new plantings were present but boot disinfectant and spray was in place to slow infection, great for getting bog trot dirt off .

I met a coach load of folk coming from High Force , some I recognised from the cafe in Middleton, the joys of coach travel. They miss so much bypassing some great views.

HIGH FORCE
Quarry on Upper Tees
 The guide book said this was not the 'most exhilerating of walks' but I was enjoying the variation.
Saur Hill Bridge
 I crossed Saur Hill Bridge and passed a farm stating 'Camping'.A rather large dog did not greet me with joy and I walked backwards so to keep an eye on the barking beast.....glad I did not knock to camp!

Tatty walk boards with rotting slats guided me over the worse of the sedge land
Widdy Bank Farm- Natural England staffed

The Tees and increasingly steeper valley side
Track ended and I walked over boulder land in increasing mist.
 At the Cauldron Snout I thought the water in the air was from its ferocity  , alas it was drizzling and stayed with me until the end of the day , the first rain for a week.
Cauldron SnoutWaterfall below Cow Green Reservoir
 Light was dimming both due to increasing mist and it was the end of the day.  From the reservoir I passed the Mountain rescue sub post, lights were on but no one appeared home. I plodded on knowing that the pitch site next to Maize Beck would be an hours walk.
Birkdale Mountain Rescue sub post

 I was away from the river gaining height which I would rather not gain. Following a track and vehicle tracks from the rescue post in the increasing snow.
I was on the edge of the military range passing signs of lead mines - Moss Shop, and piles of spoil.
Visibility was getting poorer and I cracked on finally going down and back to a river and Maize Beck.

I pitched in waining light , pleased to stop as always , pleased with progress made and very pleased with the days walking, 25 miles.






No comments:

Post a Comment