Wednesday 3 April 2013

5th March, 2013 HARDRAW to ROVE GILL , NR. A66 CROSSING




I woke as always , early.
As gear was pre packed from previous night I had little to do except have a basic breaky and get going. 
I was away by 8 but spent 10 mins trying to get out of the grounds as the gate had a padlock . After wondering like a fool I climbed over the gate and in the cold sun .
The route up Great Shunner was icy peaceful , only the sound of skylark and lapwing seemed to disturb the still crisp quiet. It was not a hard climb but more steady and gradual . I stopped to look back down the route with mist below obscuring the village I had just left . It was a realisation of the reason I did these sort of things , seems lately that I had little time to 'stand and stare'.
As I gained more height more snow lay , not fresh , icy and part thawed making it almost a case for the light crampons I carried.
I sat on the top for a few mins taking in the view, I had taken me less than 2 hours  , a grey tinge of fog the Thwaite side , my direction had me hoping the spring sun would burn it off before I got to the bottom.  In a training walk 10 months ago I had done this journey in reverse trying desparately not to be over taken by some army bods who seemed as determined to catch up , they didn't until they jogged past on the descent, I let them !
This descent was more snowy /icy than the ascent, the slabs preventing erosion quite often obscured.
I got to the bottom and walked into Thwaite , stopping at Kearton Country Hotel for a coffee. I was pleased I did not have to remove my boots and spared others of my perfumed feet ,  they had a natty little step in gadget that enveloped the boots in blue plastic to keep the posh carpet clean.
I left and made my way through a farm yard and up passed barns and skirted fields with friendly  signs like 'no camping'. Once height was made the views ahead and behind were excellent as I skirted the Kisdon hill at around 400m.
Looking back to Thwaite with Great Shunner in background
View ahead to Keld, River Swale Valley
Kisdon Force,having crossed the Swale , I sat here briefly with other folk taking in the beauty, the sun was shining so anything would of appealed but this was magical.
After a hike over high moorland passing old lead mines I arrived at Tan Hill Inn...of course I had to have a pint,and great chips. I charged phone and willingly was forced to give to the nominated mountain rescue charity by the landlady.


This was a boggy , flat stretch which got better as I went , when I say better I mean drier, much to my relief. The moorland heather was being burnt off to allow new shoots for the grouse.

Frumming Beck

Crossing under the A66

With light descending over the A66 I headed north a wee bit to pitch on bleak moorland.

No comments:

Post a Comment